The New South Wales government has today announced an extension of the Regional New South Wales lockdown from August 28 to September 10 due to 1029 community cases in the last 24 hours.
“As a precaution, the health advice says that we should extend the lockdown to all of regional NSW until midnight Friday 10 September,” said Premier Gladys Berejiklian at today’s press conference.
Word had been prior that regional LGAs with no cases would be exempt from a lockdown extension. However New South Wales ongoing sewage surveillance program has also recently detected fragments of the virus that causes COVID-19 at the sewage treatment centre in Cooma in the Snowy Monaro.
Ski resorts in New South Wales will remain closed for another two weeks.
“We are on a knife edge in the regions and need to take pressure off the health system,” said New South Wales Deputy Premier John Barilaro.
“Sewage surveillance is showing fragments where we have no new cases. We need to protect the regions.”
More freedoms for those in lockdown in the state will come into play from September 13. People who live outside LGAs of concern can gather in groups of up to five people within their LGA, so long as all five are fully vaccinated.
More to come.