The resort has today revealed development plans for the year/s ahead including a new Merritts Mountain House restaurant and conference facility alongside the gondola (both to be completed in time for the 2020 season).
Friday’s Flat retail and rental facility will be expanded, as will Thredboland and the additional Friday Flat car parking plus snowmaking upgrades to Dream Run.
The official Thredbo report says that:
Pending approval, these developments will provide guests with some of the best on-snow facilities in Australia and further enhance Thredbo’s award winning reputation as Australia’s premier snow resort.
The potential developments include;
- The replacement of Merritts double chairlift with a state of the art high-speed 8 person Gondola.
- The development of a new Merritts Mountain House restaurant and conference facility.
- Expansion of Friday Flat’s retail and rental facility.
- Expansion of Thredbo’s children program centre ‘Thredboland’.
- Additional car parking at Friday Flat.
- Snowmaking upgrades to ‘Dream Run’ providing more consistent snow conditions from the Cruiser Area to Friday Flat.
Thredbo will continue to be mindful of the unique environment. Flora and fauna assessments have been undertaken by Eco Logical Australia and determined that there will be no significant effect on threatened species, endangered populations, ecological communities or their habitats. The potential impact on Aboriginal heritage has also been assessed and has found that there will be no impact.
In addition to these environmental and cultural considerations, Thredbo will maintain its strong relationship with the environment by acknowledging the raw colours and textures of Thredbo’s surrounding natural Alpine environment through the selection of materials and sympathetic palettes.
The plans are currently submitted with the New South Wales Department of Planning and Environment.
Watch this space.